I have not made a Burda pattern before so this is a first! Compared to paper patterns, making a Burda requires that extra effort to print out pages of patterns and paste them up. In addition, Burda's instructions are brief and wordy instead of illustrative and I don't do so well with words compared to pictures when it comes to instructions. And this pattern already has seam allowances included, can anyone tell me if there are seam allowances included in patterns of Burda Mags?
Recently, Burdastyle gave out this downloadable pattern during one of it's Freebie Friday offers. I was keen to make this one as I saw that this simple sheath pattern has a cheongsam/qipao variation, which I've always been trying to find a pattern for. So Chinese/Lunar New Year 2013 (February next year) came early for me!
Fabric: One yard of Turquoise poly fabric with alternating red flower motifs, RM3/USD1 a yard.
Pattern: Burdastyle Fatina #6051, the cheongsam variation.
Notions: Basic Zipper, Purple piping and bias tape
Total Cost (pattern's free, yay!): Approximately RM5/USD2
Pattern Notes: According to the Burda sizing I had cut a Size 40 but after making it up, perhaps the Size 40 would be well suited only for my hips (alas!) and I had to take in a lot on the top and waist to make it fit. My husband thinks the fit is still too loose for a cheongsam but I think the style is meant to be loose fitting on this Burda pattern as it has side french darts instead of straight vertical darts for a closer fit. Plus I prefer a relaxed fit.
There are 32 pages of Burda pattern to paste together which was not so bad as I did it whilst watching the season 1 finale of Fashion Star. I thought the width of the mandarin collar was a bit too small to make an impact (it'll be 'lost' without the piping added) so I will make it wider on my next cheongsam. The pattern is easy and quick to sew up as it has no lining. I would imagine the sheath dress pattern would be quicker without having to pipe the collars.
It certainly felt good to complete this wearable muslin in only 2 days compared to my last disaster dress which took more than 2 weeks. Now I need to find the perfect fabric to make the next version!